|Sharps Collection Program|
What are sharps?
Sharps are any type of needles, syringes, or lancets that have been used or contaminated. All contaminated or used sharps products need to be disposed in a safe environment. Appropriate disposal reduces pollution to the environment, prevents injury to others, and prevents transmission of diseases from needle sticks.
Instructions for Safe Disposal:
- Place sharps in an approved puncture proof container (such as a red sharps container or an old laundry detergent bottle). CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF APPROVED SHARPS CONTAINERS.
- Please only fill your container 2/3 of the way full.
- Label the bottle or container with a “biohazard” or “sharps” label and lock the lid.
- Wipe the outside of the container down with a household cleaner.
- Place the container in a plastic bring to the Kewaunee County Health Department, 810 Lincoln Drive, Kewaunee, WI 54216
- In order to cover the cost of disposal, there will be a $5.00 fee for the disposal of sharps containers. New sharps containers can be purchased for $3.00.
- For questions please call (920) 388-7160
- Do not dispose of sharps in household garbage.
- Do not try to remove the needle from the syringe.
- Do not attempts to recycle any sharps products.
- Keep sharps and sharps containers out of reach of children.
- Do not use milk jugs, soda bottles or coffee cans as a sharps container. The material is too thin and could potentially cause injury to others.